Compiled by V.Kumar : – India some Interesting Facts to know : India has the largest number of vegetarians in the world – It may be due to religious reasons or personal choices or both, most of the people living in India are vegetarians.
- Diamonds were first mined in India- Initially, diamonds were only found in the alluvial deposits in Guntur and Krishna District of the Krishna River Delta. Until diamonds were found in Brazil during the 18th century, India led the world in diamond production.
- A special polling station is set up for a lone voter in the middle of Gir Forest- Mahant Bharatdas Darshandas has been voting since 2004 and during every election since then, a special polling booth is set up exclusively for him as he is the only voter from Banej in Gir forest.
- India has the largest post network- To reach each and every village, India Post opened post offices in most of the towns / cities of the country. As per the current network, India Post have the largest numbers of Post Offices in the world. India even has a floating post office.
- The northern state of Uttar Pradesh would be the world’s fifth most populous country- Yes, you heard it right. If the northern state of UP is treated as a single country, it will be the world’s fifth most populous country. Uttar Pradesh has a population of more than 200 million — that’s more people than in Japan, Mexico…even Russia.
- India has the highest bridge in the world- The Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in the Ladakh valley between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains.. It was built by the Indian Army in August 1982.
- Surgery was invented in India- India was way ahead in the field of medicine and surgery in ancient times. Surgeries were performed in India nearly 3,000 back.
- Navigation was invented in India- Navigation has its origin in a Sanskrit word and the art of navigating in rivers and seas was not only invented in India but was also perfected here. The first navigators used River Indus (picture) to hone their skills more than 6,000 years ago.
- Oldest city in the world is in India- When Lord Buddha visited Varanasi city in 500 BC, it was already 1,300 years old! This makes it the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world.
- Largest number of elected persons in the world- Panchayati Raj is a form of government but at the village level. A group of people are elected in each village to run the affairs of the village. This unique form of governance has made India home to the largest number of elected persons in the world.