- Samsung S9 and S9 Plus shipped 180% higher than Google Pixel 2 and Apple iPhone 8, 8 Plus and iPhone X.
- LYF continued its impressive growth in 1Q 2018 leading the overall mobile handset market with 22% market share, followed by Samsung with 15%, and Xiaomi with 10% market share each.
- In 1Q 2018, LYF, Samsung, itel and Lava took the top 4 positions in Feature Phones segment, while Xiaomi, Samsung, Oppo and Vivo were the top 4 in Smartphones.
New Delhi/Gurugram, 27 April 2018 : According to CMR’s India Mobile Handset Market Review Report for 1Q 2018 released today, the super premium segment (>INR 50,000) saw Samsung taking top honors ahead of flagships from Apple iPhone and Google Pixel 2. While Apple reigned supreme in 4Q 2017 with the launch of iPhone X and iPhone 8/8Plus, 1Q 2018 saw its shipments of its premium flagships decline by 74%.
Commenting on the major trends witnessed, Prabhu Ram, Head – Industry Intelligence Group (IIG), CMR said, “Following its launch at MWC 2018, Samsung’s new super premium flagship launches did better than the competition. 1Q 2018 saw Samsung making an impressive run with its new flagships, on the back of its partnerships with telcos and ecommerce players, including attractive cash back offers and exchange benefits. Samsung’s 2018 super premium flagships beat the initial run of Samsung S8 and S8 Plus last year with 8% increase in its shipments.”
“Huawei had a marginal presence in India until now. However in 1Q 2018, it improved its shipments and doubled its market share, with a place in the top ten smartphone vendors. LYF continued its impressive run from 4Q 2017 with increased shipments cementing its position at the top for overall mobile handset shipments as well as in feature phones in 1Q 2018,”added Narinder Kumar, Analyst, CMR-IIG.
CMR 1Q 2018 Highlights
- The feature phone market grew by 91% YoY in 1Q 2018, while 4G smartphones grew by 16%.
- On a YoY basis, Indian brands grew by 128%, while Chinese brands grew by 31%
- In the super premium flagships segment, Apple saw its share decline from 82% to 25%, while Google went from 11% to 2%, at the end of 1Q 2018, as compared to 4Q 2017.
- LYF grew an impressive 26% over 4Q 2017, whereas Samsung declined by 13% QoQ.
- In smartphones, Xiaomi remained the clear market leader for three successive quarters with a 150% YoY growth in 1Q 2018.
- 94% of the smartphones were Made in India, with 26% YoY growth. On the other hand, imports of feature phones grew by 11% in market share, as 74% of LYF’s JioPhones were imported in 1Q 2018.
About CMR India Mobile Handset Review Report
The CMR Mobile Handset Review Report is based on CMR’s research methodology and proprietary tools, covering >100 unique datasets, and delivered to CMR clientele. The report is available in monthly, quarterly and half-yearly formats. The report deliverables include top-line findings and summary snapshot for India market in powerpoint, and in a user-friendly excel format.
For more information on CMR’s Mobile Handset Report, contact
Prabhu Ram at +91 9899440380 or email@example.com